Monday, September 12, 2011

Does DIY Laundry Soap Work?

Week Three: DIY Laundry Soap; Does it work?

I used a dry method to make laundry soap with borax, washing soda and a bar of Ivory soap. I like not having a huge bucket around the house so this appealed to me. The soap is easier to handle because it is concentrated. I washed several stained work shirts. I know lots of us have made the soap so I wanted to show how well the powder cleaned my clothes.

I found the powder left behind a fresh, clean smell. It took out some fresh stains but not the old ones but neither did my commercial soap. Washing my work shirts with bleach was much better. Colored and whites are clean and have a great smell with no artificial odors. I give the natural laundry soap a big thumbs up.

Ingredients:
Arm &; Hammer Washing Soda $3.54
20 Mule Team Borax $3.54
Bar of Ivory Soap $?

Mix one cup of each and a grated bar of soap. Wash with 3 tablespoons and bleach if needed.

Natural Whitening
Vinegar
Lemon juice
Sun drying

No comments:

Post a Comment