Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The secret to dealing with a teenager

Good School Day

I just had a pleasant morning getting my teenager off to school. Taking myself out of the equation was the answer. I set the alarm for 7:30 as I went to drop his brother. On returning I knocked, said good morning, asked if he’d like me to make him some breakfast and gave consequences for not being ready on time. In this case I would keep his skateboard for one day over the weekend. I made breakfast and every 15 minutes I shouted out time left. Before deadline he was ready to go. Love it!

No threats, cursing, throwing or whinning.  Oh yea, all that bad behavior was mine.  Left a bad taste in my mouth.  Mostly my teenage did what he wanted laughed at my freaking out and we usually rushed to school. No cool conversation just nagging.  YUK.  Specific request, more specific consequences and  matter of fact points.  Why didn't someone tell me it could be this easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment