Tuesday, May 31, 2011

holidays are for boys

The older my children get the more I must orchestrate time for them together. We spent Sunday hanging out at the lake on just such a day. They like most boys are getting along well unless they are killing each other. They are as different as two boys can be while they are boys, brothers, and a lot alike.

My boys are 12 and 14 and have always been good playmates. The older they get the more their differences stand out. I like to take them to a neutral spot like the lake to force them to engage. I like this spot because it has a beautiful cliff overlooking the water. There are benches on the cliff where I can sit and observe without interfering. I want them to have freedom but I want to keep an eye on them.

We did bring my older boy’s friend but with the younger boys approval. There was a moment where the 12 year old felt he did not fit in however the friend asked him to join in the fun. I did set the guide lines in the car that everyone should be good to everyone else and have fun. I smiled from my perch as I watched them splash, jump and swim all day long. When we drug ourselves home all the boys were happy, burnt and tired.

I love holidays. Thanks to all the veterans who made this day possible. Whether my boys end up soldiers one day or enjoy the freedoms soldiers give us I know I want my young men to be friends for life!

No comments:

Post a Comment